Welcome to Kibworth Grammar
Home
Hire charges
Rooms
How to Make a Booking
Upcoming Events
Regular activities
Trustees
Contact Us
Most recent minutes
Booking forms
Most recent minutes

 

KIBWORTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL HALL

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF TRUSTEES HELD ON WEDNESDAY 27th SEPTEMBER 2017

 

Present – Joan Fillingham (chair) (JF), Philip Bothwell (PB), Pat Copson (PC), Clive Huntley (CH), Pat Malpass, Dave Birch (Minuting Secretary) (DB).

 

JF announced that Felicity Peberdy had resigned as a trustee.

 

1)      Apologies – apologies for absence were received from Ed Burgess.

 

 

 

2)      The minutes of the committee meeting held on Wednesday July 19th were accepted as a true record.

 

 

 

3)      Matters arising

 

3a) Paul Stone has still not provided information on Affinity’s future plans despite further requests.

 

3b) It was decided that we should no longer pursue the installation of solar panels.

 

3d) JF had met with Dr.Higgins concerning repairing the fence between the Hall and the Old Grammar School. It was agreed that the fence should be put back to its ‘pre storm’ state at a cost of £300 to be borne equally by the two Old Grammar School residents and the Hall. The cost of any future storm damage to the fence separating Hall and Old Grammar School should be similarly borne.

 

3e) With advice from PB, Kelly and EB, DB has made modifications to the website.

 

3f) CH gave the following report on the Hall’s fire safety situation:-

 

Generally the Grammar School Hall is not in bad shape as regards FIRE but here is the latest news which the trustees should be aware of :-

 

1.       A main fire inspection and risk assessment has been carried out recently.

 

2.       A detailed inspection of the fire doors has been carried out recently.

 

3.       A full fire evacuation has been held involving KDU3A and Affinity ( 80+ people )

 

4.       The following deficiencies have been identified and in the process of being rectified

 

·         Missing intumescent to the top of the lounge door ( done)

 

·         Hole in corridor doors top of stairs ( lock previously removed ) and No smoke seals to doors and meeting edges ( part done)

 

·         No intumescent/smoke seals to access door to under stage and needs door closer.( part done)

 

·         Door to theatre store top of stairs needs intumescent/smoke seals ( done)

 

·         Double doors main entrance to Hall the meeting stiles need intumescent/smoke seals

 

·         Door to small store bottom of main stairs needs intumescent/smoke seals

 

·         Main kitchen door should be a fire door and needs intumescent/smoke seals. Also as this door is always open should be fitted with a hold open device that shuts with the noise of the fire alarm. Also needs fire door sign.

 

·         Escape doors should have signs  outside to keep clear ( part done)

 

·         Improve directions to assembly point ( part done )

 

·         Improve directional escape signs at the back ( part done)

 

·         The escape gate at the back needs to open opposite way for escape and be easy to open.

 

·         Affinity in the Studio thought the Fire alarm sound was not very loud.

 

·         A block wall has been built to separate boiler room from under stage.( done)

 

·         The door left of stage to craft should not be bolted ( done )

 

·         We have improved escape by changing the door at the end of the studio corridor to full escape specification.

 

·         We do not have any evidence of fire door certification for when they were installed. We have to assume that they were correctly installed.

 

 

 

3g) Cables in roof which were damaged by squirrels have now been replaced.

 

3h) Six tables had now been purchased. It was decided that the Harborough Building Society logo should be featured on the Hall Facebook page rather than on the website – DB to inform Kelly of this.

 

4)£500 rental charge for use of Hall for election had now been received.

 

 

 

4)      Wilson Alarms – as a result of dissatisfaction with cost of and service provided by ADT, JF had asked Wilson Alarms for a quotation for taking over servicing of alarm system. It was agreed that Wilson Alarm’s more favourable quotation should be accepted and ADT’s contract should be ended forthwith – JF to effect these changes.

 

 

 

5)      Lighting – there was still concern re the cost of electricity despite the installation of LED lights in the corridors. Ed Burgess had proposed that the light switches in the lounge and studio be changed – the proximity and alignment of the switches means that more lights are put on than are really needed. We should have new switches fitted that would help overcome this problem. JF to ask Blade Electrics for a quote to do this work and to quote for LED lighting in the main hall.

 

 

 

6)      Treasurer’s report – the situation was judged as satisfactory, income of £27,658.85 for the period January 1 to September 19 2017 exceeding expenditure of £24,635.05 by £3,023.80. There was  £15,700 in the Hall current account and £15,900 in the Hall savings account.

 

 

 

7)      Publicity and Posters – JF felt that the placing of posters around the village and in neighbouring villages advertising the Hall’s facilities would be beneficial. To this end she had acquired a ‘mock up’ of a possible design for a poster. Trustees felt this both an excellent idea and a very promising mock up – JF to pursue the idea further.

 

 

 

8)      Any other business – CH reported that Howard Pickering had reneged on his contract to clear and paint the Hall gutters because he had greatly underquoted, having underestimated the difficulty of the job. He had offered to continue the work but at an unacceptably high price. On CH’s advice it was decided to defer looking for further quotations for the work until the new year.

 

 

 

The meeting closed at 7.45pm.

 

Date of next meeting – Wednesday January 24th 2018

 

Dave Birch  28.09.17

 

 

 

 

 

Home
Hire charges
Rooms
How to Make a Booking
Upcoming Events
Regular activities
Trustees
Contact Us
Most recent minutes
Booking forms